What is a Tax Identification Number (TIN)?

Regulations require that we ask all Equities Reserves’ users to provide us with their Tax Identification Number (TIN) for all of their tax residencies.

Each country/jurisdiction will have its own TIN – a number issued by government tax authorities to individuals and organizations to track tax obligations and payments.

The TIN can contain letters, digits, symbols or a combination of the three, and can be referred to differently by each jurisdiction (eg: National Insurance Number, Social Security Number, Employer Identification Number or Personal Identification Number).


  • Taxes apply to all accounts, but it varies from country to country. (5% or more).
  • Taxes must be paid at the end of the financial year. (E.g June 2023), or once the client withdraws profits, whichever comes first.
  • Taxes shall be paid in separate by the owner of the account directly from his/her bank accounts or digital wallets, but it can not be deducted from the trading account


Personal — Capital Gains Tax

For all other cryptocurrency activities that do not fit the business criteria, assets are considered a personal investment and are subject to CGT rules rather than those applied to income tax. Examples of personal crypto activities include:

●     Purchasing cryptocurrency for yourself

●     Recreationally mining crypto

●     Casual low-volume cryptocurrency trading, commodities trading, or trading stocks.

Business or Professional — Income Tax

The key here is whether the cryptocurrency was obtained during business-related activities, which could include:

  • Professionally trading crypto
  • Commercially mining crypto
  • Operating a business which involves financial asset
  • Business-related cryptocurrency transactions or trading stocks


Shares and investments you may need to pay tax on include:

  • Shares
  • Forex/Currency
  • Commodities
  • Units in a unit trust (include Indices)
  • Withdrawing crypto from the wallet (certain countries only).
  • Certain bonds (not including Premium Bonds and Qualifying Corporate Bonds)



Tax when you Sell a Share or any financial asset:

You may have to pay Capital Gains Tax if you make a profit (‘gain’) when you sell (or ‘dispose of’) shares or other investments.


You also do not pay Capital Gains Tax when you dispose of:

  • Shares you’ve put into an ISA or PEP
  • Shares in employer Share Incentive Plans (SIPs)
  • Government gilts (including Premium Bonds)
  • Qualifying Corporate Bonds
  • Employee shareholder shares – depending on when you got them


When you do not pay it

You do not usually need to pay tax if you give shares as a gift to your husband, wife, civil partner, or a charity. (declaration in advance only).